Has it ever occurred to you how deep the Atonement actually is? Have you ever even tried to comprehend it? The short answer to the definition of the Atonement is this, Jesus Christ sacrificed for the sins and the sorrows of the world. He took upon him every trial and challenge that we have and will ever go through. Why did he do this you might ask. Because he loves us. He and our Father in heaven knew that the only way for us to return again to be with them was by redemption. Someone had to pay the price for our mistakes. Justice must be fulfilled, but mercy could be obtained so long as the price was paid completely.
So why should the Atonement be remembered and applied daily? Yes, we should be thankful, but more than that there is a power behind it. The Atonement not only has a purifying power, but also an enabling power. Through it we can change. Bad men can become good, and good men can become better. It's our access to the ultimate destination of perfection that we are all striving for. If we work on applying the Atonement each day, we will be comforted through the good times and the bad, as well as becoming a changed people.
My whole life, it never worked out in my head. I couldn't understand how to apply my belief into my life. I always saw it as two separate things. Church life, and regular day life. After 20 years of life I finally got it. I can now see that God cares about all aspects of my life. Jesus Christ didn't just Atone for all things that had to do with church, he atoned for ALL things. That being said, I can look to him for ALL things. He's felt the stress of school, he knows the heartaches that come from friends and family, and he truly cares about each detail of our lives.
So how can we access the atonement. How do we call upon it each and every day of our lives? I'm sure there are many ways this can be done, but let me tell you what I have learned. It first starts with a willing heart. Are you willing to give up who you have been in order to become who God knows you can be, or is your pride stopping you from achieving change? After willingness comes dedication. To what extent will you strive for change? Are you willing to stand firm when things seem to be falling apart? Third comes action. One good action at a time will over time change our behavior and our character. Next, (which should also be first) you must have faith in God and in his Son, Jesus Christ. Believe that they will be there to help you along the way. And last, endure to the end. It's never "over". You must always strive to be better than you were yesterday. As we strive to do our best, that's when the atonement is accessed.
Whoever you are, wherever you are, and whatever your circumstances may be, just know that it is never impossible. And in the words of Elder Holland, "There is still time, so long as the master of the vineyard says so". Have faith in God for he has faith in you.
Jakey, I didn't know you had started a blog! I love your thoughts and reflections on lessons you have learned. Keep sharing! This is inspiring! Love you!
ReplyDeleteBrooklynn
Hi everybody! Up in the top right hand corner of the page, just above my picture that shows up, you can recommend my blog on google plus with the button that has g+1. I would really appreciate it if you would click that button and help share my blog. Thanks!
ReplyDelete