Sunday, November 23, 2014

Can Ye Feel so Now?

     As I'm sure most of you are aware, missionaries have a lot of time to study in that two years. It took me a little while to get used to it, but I found personal study time to be one of my favorite things. I learned so much in that precious space of time each and every day. Early on in my mission as I was studying, I came across a scripture in the Book of Mormon that effected not only my mission, but is continuing to effect my life now. In fact, during my entire mission from that point on I took a clip of that scripture and stuck it next to my study desk where I could see it everyday. The words said, "Can ye feel so now?', taken from Alma chapter 5, verse 26. All together the scripture reads this, "And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?". 
      I have come to the realization that conversion is a daily thing. You can't just be converted one day, and then not have to work on it ever again. If that was the case, the church would not have as much adversity as it does today. So many things can occur in our lives that can take us off the path that we need to be on. The adversary himself is working that much harder on those who have received some kind of spiritual witness. We get caught up with things such as work, momentary lusts, becoming offended, separation from the gospel, and so many more things that we take our eyes off the prize and fall away from our potential.  
      I like this scripture because it nails it right on the head. Without forcefully telling us to do something, Alma makes it plain as to what we need to do. In my words, this is what Alma said..... You have felt the Spirit in your life. You know the gospel is true. That feeling was good wasn't it? You want to feel that way again don't you? You can! Bring back those good habits that you had back then, do the things that will invite that feeling into your life again. It's not too late to get back on the path of righteousness. 
       No matter how long it has been, no matter how deep you feel you have dug your hole, just know that Christ can pick us up from wherever we stand. We just need to give him permission. We need to allow him to guide and direct our paths. The atonement reaches to even the furthest away. 
     As I strive to win the daily battle of conversion against the adversary, I invite you to do the same thing. Ask yourself daily, "Can I feel so now?". If you can't, figure out how you can. If you can, then pursue and endure each day of your life. If you're not sure if you want to feel so now, well let me set you straight, you do want to feel so now! The greatest and most lasting joy you will ever feel is through following the example of Jesus Christ and living the gospel in your life. I testify that this is true. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi everybody! Up in the top right hand corner of the page, just above my picture that shows up, you can recommend my blog on google plus with the button that has g+1. I would really appreciate it if you would click that button and help share my blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete