On my mission I saw great changes in people including myself. They were such great and miraculous changes, but they happened over an extended period of time. Some times I would start to see changes after a few months of working with people and then I would have to leave, sometimes I saw the end result of a change that had already been taking place coming into a new area, and sometimes (but very rarely) I got to see the change from beginning to end. What a wonderful gift that was!
I bring this up not to discourage people, but hopefully to encourage people. Since it is the new year, lots of people are setting goals (including myself). I don't know about you, but in the past I have found that I set these lofty goals and I am solid with them for about 2 weeks or so and then I just completely give up on them for one reason or another. The problem I catch myself in is this, I don't see immediate change, so I quit. Obviously it's not working right?...... Wrong, actually. Change was occurring, I just didn't realize it because it came line upon line and precept upon precept.
This reminds me of one lady in particular from my mission that this same thing happened with. Beth was about 60 years old, living all by herself. She had major depression which led to a lot of things such as hording and smoking in particular. Her home was in terrible condition, and to make things worse, she was smoking about 30 cigarettes a day. As we taught her the gospel, we started to see change in her life. It started with her giving up a few cigarettes here and there, and throwing out a bag or two of garbage every few days. To Beth, the change wasn't noticed, or felt like it was making much of a difference at first because it seemed so small. It wasn't until after many weeks of working with her that me and my companion got her to take a step back and really see the progress she was making. She was a completely new person. Eventually, before she passed away, she had given up smoking completely, and her house was clean again.
My thought for me and you here is this, set goals. Strive to be better, reach for that potential that you know is within you. That being said, don't give up on your goals. Just because you can't see the change right away doesn't mean it's not happening. Allow the atonement to work in your life. Christ paid the ultimate price so that we can become better. Don't waste this precious gift we have been given.
Hi everybody! Up in the top right hand corner of the page, just above my picture that shows up, you can recommend my blog on google plus with the button that has g+1. I would really appreciate it if you would click that button and help share my blog. Thanks!
ReplyDelete