Seeking and enjoying the small doses of joy found amidst the chaos and troubles the world throws at you.
Sunday, December 7, 2014
The Feeling of Truth
Have you ever tried to explain the taste of salt? It's one of those things that no matter how hard you work on trying to explain it, words just won't do it justice. Usually after you get done trying to explain one of these things you finish off by saying, "you just need to experience it for yourself". That's how I feel trying to explain to someone how the Spirit feels, or how it works. My whole mission I tried and I tried to explain it to different investigators, but the best that I could get at with words was simply a warm, overwhelming feeling. Those words hardly scratch the surface of the true feeling the Spirit brings into your life. So, before I continue on with this let me give you a bit of advice, don't take my word on how the Spirit feels, find out for yourself.
In my life I have had some pretty cool experiences. Once in a lifetime experiences you might say. In high school I played safety on the football team. I had the opportunity to play underneath the Friday night lights with thousands of people watching and cheering for and against me. I miss that feeling. The feeling of adrenaline pumping so fast that I could hardly breath. The rush of the excitement running through my bones as the crowd roars with screaming. And the feeling of pulling off a close game against one of my teams biggest rivals by just a point. This time in my life was a great experience. An experience that a young boy could only wish to have one day.
Well let me tell you something, even that doesn't beat the feeling that comes from the Spirit testifying to you truth. It could never beat the feeling of 5000 missionaries singing called to serve with the greatest amount of enthusiasm, or hearing the font filling up as someone you have come to love prepares to enter the waters of baptism because they have felt what you have felt. Nor does it top the excitement you have when someone who hasn't been active in the church for years makes the decision to start coming to church and changing their life. If it makes me feel this good, I can only imagine the feeling they feel when being baptized and surfacing from the water, or when they make that first big step and enter the church once again.
So, why do these things make us feel so good? The answer is this, the Spirit is testifying to you that the change you are making, or the sacrifices that you are making are good. Not only good, but true. It is testifying that you are following the example of Jesus Christ, and that you are making your Heavenly Father proud. I don't know about you, but I want to feel the Spirit in my life always. I'm working on it, I'm not perfect, nor will I be perfect in this life. But as I strive to do the things that allow the Spirit into my life I will feel it more often. Not only will I feel it more often, but without even realizing it, I am becoming changed over time till sometime in the life to come, I reach perfection as our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ would have me reach. We can all have this. We are promised this. "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father in Heaven is perfect". This isn't just fluff, or an impossible goal. It's the destination our Heavenly Father KNOWS that we can reach!
With all this being said, let's all make a goal today. That goal is this, do whatever you need to do to feel the Spirit. If that means changing things right now, then do it. If you are feeling the Spirit already, then endure to the end. And if you're not sure what you need to do or how you need to do it, then get on your knees and ask God. He knows, and He will tell you. I testify with all my heart that God is real. I know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And I know that the Spirit testifies truth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi everybody! Up in the top right hand corner of the page, just above my picture that shows up, you can recommend my blog on google plus with the button that has g+1. I would really appreciate it if you would click that button and help share my blog. Thanks!
ReplyDelete